Short Inca Trail to Machu Picchu 2 days with Camping
The Short Inca Trail with camping to Machu Picchu is a fantastic alternative to the classic 4-day trek for those with limited time or who prefer a shorter, less physically demanding hike. This 2-day itinerary combines stunning scenery, fascinating history, and the unforgettable experience of camping under the stars.
Day 1: Cusco – Km 104 – Wiñay Wayna – Campsite
- Depart Cusco early in the morning and transfer to the Ollantaytambo train station.
- Board the train to Km 104, the starting point of the Short Inca Trail.
- Begin your hike at Km 104 after a brief introduction from your guide and check in at the control point.
- After a 3-4 hour hike, you’ll reach the beautiful archaeological site of Wiñay Wayna, an impressive Inca complex that features terraces, fountains, and temples.
- Enjoy a well-earned lunch break and explore the Wiñay Wayna site with your guide.
- Continue hiking for approximately 2 more hours until you reach the campsite for the night, located close to Machu Picchu.
- Set up camp, have dinner, and enjoy the spectacular view of the surrounding mountains and the starry sky above.
Day 2: Campsite – Machu Picchu – Cusco
- Wake up early, enjoy breakfast, and then begin the final hike to Machu Picchu.
- Arrive at Inti Punku (Sun Gate) just as the sun rises, offering a breathtaking view of Machu Picchu below.
- Descend into the Machu Picchu citadel and enjoy a guided tour of this iconic Inca site, learning about its history, significance, and architectural wonders.
- After the tour, you will have free time to explore Machu Picchu on your own. You can choose to hike up to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain (tickets must be purchased separately and in advance).
- Once you have finished exploring, catch the bus down to Aguas Calientes, where you can grab a meal and explore the small town.
- Board the train back to Ollantaytambo, where your transportation to Cusco awaits.
- Arrive back in Cusco in the evening, concluding your unforgettable Short Inca Trail adventure.
Please note that this itinerary is subject to change depending on weather conditions, train schedules, and other factors. Ensure that you book with a reputable tour operator and always follow their guidelines and advice for a safe and enjoyable experience.