Machu Picchu full-day trip from Cusco
A full-day trip to Machu Picchu from Cusco is possible, but it can be quite challenging due to the distance and transportation involved. Here’s a possible itinerary for a one-day trip:
- Early morning pick-up from your hotel in Cusco (usually around 4-5 am).
- Drive to Ollantaytambo train station (around 2 hours).
- Catch a train to Aguas Calientes (around 1.5-2 hours).
- Upon arrival at Aguas Calientes, take a bus up to Machu Picchu (around 30 minutes).
- Once you arrive at Machu Picchu, you’ll have a guided tour of the ancient Inca city for about 2-3 hours.
- After the tour, you’ll take the bus back down to Aguas Calientes and have some free time for lunch or souvenir shopping.
- In the afternoon, take the train back to Ollantaytambo and then a bus back to Cusco.
This itinerary can be quite exhausting as you’ll be spending a lot of time traveling, and you’ll have limited time to explore Machu Picchu. It’s also important to note that the weather in the mountains can be unpredictable, and the train schedules can be affected by natural disasters or other unforeseen events.
If possible, spending at least one night in Aguas Calientes is recommended to have more time to explore Machu Picchu and avoid rushing the experience. Alternatively, you can also consider taking a private tour or hiring a driver to make the trip more comfortable and flexible.